Protecting What Matters Most

Protecting The Rights Of Nonbiological Parents In New York

Though New York legalized same-sex marriage in 2011, the LGBT community still faces many challenges. When it comes to same-sex marriage and parenting, legal rights become complicated.

I am family law attorney Keith Schulefand and at the law office of Keith B. Schulefand, Esq., I recognize and protect the rights of all kinds of parents. I handle even the most complex issues in family law cases, including nonbiological parent rights.

With over three decades of experience, I am committed and a supportive family law advocate.

In tough situations involving children, I always look out for the child’s best interests. However, I strive to protect parental rights too. These matters always involve give-and-take, but I aim to reach fair solutions that everyone involved can live with.

Issues That Nonbiological Parents Commonly Face

If a same-sex couple has a child, the nonbiological parent may face a variety of legal concerns. The main problem is that they often do not have a legal relationship with the child. The lack of a legal relationship can seriously impact your child’s life as well as your own.

Without legal parental rights, you may not be able to:

  • Have custody or visitation rights in a divorce
  • Make decisions about your child’s life
  • Entrust assets to them in an estate plan

Second-parent adoption is a way of establishing that legal relationship and your parental rights. I have many years of experience to offer parents. I provide knowledgeable counsel throughout the entire adoption process.

Though you may establish parental rights in a legal relationship, you may still face difficulties in the event of a divorce.

Determining Child Custody Agreements

Child custody is probably one of the most complicated aspects of same-sex divorces or separations of domestic partnerships.

In any custody matter, it is important to have an experienced lawyer on your side. It is even more important for nonbiological parents. Many state and federal courts do not recognize the rights of nonbiological parents, stacking odds against them.

No matter your relationship with your child, you are still their parent. I can help you secure and preserve your parental rights.

We Can Do This Together. Contact My Office Today.

Dealing with complicated legal matters can have serious emotional tolls on your family. You do not have to go through it alone. I will offer advocacy from start to finish.

Email my office today to set up a free consultation. From my office in Williamsville, I provide professional legal counsel to clients around the Buffalo area.